Saturday, July 26, 2014

Front Row//Future Planz

Here we go a couple of weeks left and so much still to do...

My internship is still the same. The show ideas change but the Youtube hunts continue. But I love youtube and have been an avid youtube watcher for a while now. In a sense, I've been training for this internship my whole life!

Tuesday we went to HBO (no big deal). The office was AMAZING. But sadly, no pictures were allowed...they even had a little POP version of Eddard Stark sitting on an iron throne. We screened The Normal Heart  and then had lunch with the film execs for a Q & A. Then after that we talked Jenn out of class in exchange for double class time Thursday and spent the day in Santa Monica.

Santa Monica was beautiful and overcast. There was a glimmer of rain but alas we live in California so it was simply a glimmer and nothing more. After some beach time we went to the Third Street Promenade for some shopping and lunch. Our day concluded with a guy yelling at us advertising free ice cream sandwiches from an Old Spice truck. So it was a pretty perfect day.

Santa Monica Pier.

On Wednesday my roommates and I got a chance to be a part of the studio audience for So You Think You Can Dance! And let me tell you, being a part of a studio audience isn't as glamorous as people might think it is. We had to be at the studio by 7:45 to wait in line for the taping of the opening routine. Somehow we got to sit in the front row! Unfortunately, a lady in the back complained and actually asked me to sit down because I was blocking her view. Ohh the trials of being tall...then after that we were free to gallivant until we came back for the taping of the show live for the East Coast. We went to brunch and then The Grove, never knew you could go to The Cheesecake factory and just order a strawberry lemonade and sweet tea but we did. Then we sat in line on the pavement in the hot sun for a few hours....when we finally got in we were seated right behind the judges which was pretty cool. During the show I was simply in awe of how smoothly it ran as a live tv show. As someone who is intrigued by production it was insane how well choreographed the crew was during filming. In the end even though it was a tiring day I wouldn't have passed up the experience to see these talented dancers perform!

Opening chess piece dance routine at So You Think You Can Dance.

Thursday we had class and after class I decided to peruse the internet for a little-known film called Snowpiercer. I had been invited by some friends to see it the night before but unfortunately because we were heading back from the show I couldn't go but since it had such great reviews (and because I'm me) I had to watch it for myself. It was amazing. I've been describing it like this: If Hunger Games and City of Ember had a baby it would be this film. But now I think I'll also add The Raid because of it's structure in defeating each train car as they move to the front of the train to defeat Wilford, the one who runs the "eternal" engine. All you gotta know is it takes place in the future, after a failed experiment to end global warming the world has been sent into a second ice age, the only thing sustaining life is a train where the rich live at the front and the poor are forced to live at the back, and one young man incites rebellion to change it all...it was a crazy two hour ride I wasn't expecting but it was extremely original and although it left me squeamish and anxiety ridden through the majority of it I enjoyed it nonetheless. Beware, it's not a film for the faint of heart. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

After my internship on Friday I went to see the film Boyhood in theaters. I saw the trailer back in April and it blew me away and after I got to experience this amazing feat in film history in theaters I was blown away yet again. This film was shot over a period of 12 years and follows the life of a young boy through his childhood. It's as simple as that. It's beautiful in it's simplicity and shows life in it's truest form as the actors never change. This type of continuity has never been attempted and words simply cannot express how in love with this film I am. Time goes by so smoothly and effortlessly that even as I watched the film when he reached 18 asked, "Where did the time go?" It was beautiful. Just watch it.

Boyhood pictures at Arclight Cinemas.

Sunday was the UGA Alumni mixer at Yamashiro in Hollywood. Tried sushi for the first time. SO GOOD. Talked to some UGA Alums which was super intimidating...the only way I could think to open a conversation was to say, "Hello sailor." Luckily, I didn't say that. Overall it was a super swanky and fun night. No complaints and I even made a few contacts. I guess I know how to mix...

Yamashiro in Hollywood.

Also, for all who are interested in my future and life's goings-on. You who may be wondering, "Are you going to move to California? Are you coming back home? Do you have a job lined up for fall?" The answer to those questions are, "Yes. Yes. No." My plans for the future are something I've definitely prayed about and given some very careful consideration. Right now, it's not feasible financially for me to move to LA (even though I really want to). So I'm gonna move back home for a year to save and hopefully by this time next year I'll be moving to this place that I've fallen in love with in a few short weeks. Sound good?

No comments:

Post a Comment